Machine Shop Supervisor
Primary Objective of Position:
Responsible for effective and efficient machining operations at Exlar. Oversee the machining of metal parts using lathes, mills and CNC machines. Has working knowledge of machine operation and programming in toolroom environment and the ability to do machine set-up, operation, quality control and machine maintenance when required.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Planning / Scheduling / Delivery
- Interface with Materials group and other members of the production team relative to planning and scheduling of work orders.
- Define and communicate work assignments to machine shop personnel. Monitor progress of work and address issues as needed (ex. re-allocation of resources, alternate sequencing of jobs, resolution of operational/technical issues, etc.).
- Communicate effectively to management and other departments regarding order status and machining issues.
- Create shop orders for “walk” in work (i.e. R &D, tooling etc.)
- Operations / Quality
- Understand key machining processes in order to supervise machine operations, and facilitate/participate in trouble-shooting efforts.
- Assure departmental compliance to Exlar requirements including pertinent policies, procedures, work instructions, and other related process control documents.
- Monitor quality of work and assure parts are manufactured to specification on a consistent basis; take action to minimize errors and drive down rate of nonconformance.
- Serve as a member of the nonconformance committee. Provide input on machining processes and actions to correct/prevent related product issues.
- Ensure execution of process improvements and create sustainable systems and processes.
- Create “Pull-through” system for materials
- Supervisory / Personnel
- Day to day supervision and personnel development
- Assess and communicate staffing needs in the machine shop; participate in the hiring of new employees.
- Ensure positive work environment and attitude among machine shop employees; foster an attitude of responsibility and ownership.
- Ensure compliance to employee performance standards.
- Deliver performance reviews, wage increases, counseling / discipline, etc.
- Responsible for employee safety including compliance with Exlar safety requirements.
- Provide general technical direction and support to machine shop personnel.
- Assist in identifying, investigating and resolving machining equipment/tooling/process issues
- Provide input on part design and manufacturability ("machinability").
- Review system changes and improvements with Machine Shop Leadership
- Give input to the development of the annual machine shop budget. Control departmental expenses in order to meet approved budget.
- Monitor and take action to eliminate waste and drive down manufacturing costs. Assure effective and efficient utilization of personnel and equipment (ex. reduction of machine set-up and cycle times, etc.)
- Facility / Equipment / Maintenance.
- Assist with facilities management projects in the machine shop as required (ex. optimization of equipment layout, implementation of 5S practices, etc.)
- Participate in the establishment of departmental goals and direct actions required to achieve related objectives.
- Assist Machine Shop Manager; Work with other areas - production, quality, materials management, and engineering to identify/define needs and affect improvement.
- Monitor key performance indicators and assist with analysis and identification of opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure effective and frequent communication with machine shop personnel related to company and departmental developments.
Supervise 1st and 2nd shift Machine Shop employees.
Education and Experience:
Trade school degree in machining and at least three years applicable supervisory experience or a minimum of five years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to run a 2-axis CNC controlled mill, manual lathe and manual grinders.
- Ability to run a Haas Tool Room Mill (TM1) is desired.
- Ability to read blue prints.
- Ability to conduct tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Knowledge of basic geometry and trigonometry and their applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment.
- Use either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes.
- Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
Physical Requirements (these physical requirements must be performed with or without accommodation):
- Position is based in a Machine Shop environment, which entails regular exposure to dirt, dust, noise, machine chemicals, fumes, and other attributes common to this environment.
- Ability to stand for extended lengths of time is required; bend, reach, stoop and twist as required.
- This position requires simple and firm grasping and fine manipulating of the hands to operate tooling and testing equipment.
- Testing requires good visual and listening skills and the ability to read electronic equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
To apply, please go to http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH06/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CWCONTROLS&cws=3&rid=2258.
CNC NT Machinist - 2nd Shift
Our extremely clean, well lit, and climate controlled Machine Shop has an opening for a CNC Machinist with programming capabilities who can work independently on second shift (Monday – Thursday 3:00 p.m. until 1:30 a.m.). Second shift employees are eligible for a $1.00 per hour shift differential in addition to their base hourly wage.
This position is responsible for producing metal parts to specifications using primarily a Mori Seiki NT machine. Must have the ability to read machine programs, perform machine set-up, make offsets in programs and perform quality audits and routine maintenance.
The ideal candidate will have a trade school degree in CNC machining and two years experience or five years of experience in lieu of the degree. Experience on multi-tasking machines with milling and turning, primarily a Mori Seiki NT machine is desirable. This person must have a clear understanding of GD&T. Must have working knowledge of CAD/CAM. Programming with ESPRIT is a plus. The ability to read blue prints, use general inspection equipment and lift up to 50 pounds is required.
To apply, please go to
CNC Lathe Machinist - 2nd Shift
Our Machine Shop is seeking a qualified CNC Lathe Machinist for second shift (Monday – Thursday, 3:00 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.) who can work independently and enjoys a challenge. Second shift employees are also eligible for a $1.00 per hour shift differential in addition to their base hourly wage.
This individual will be responsible for producing metal parts to specifications using CNC machine tools. Must have the ability to create machine programs, perform basic machine set-up, make offsets in programs and perform quality audits and routine maintenance.
The ideal candidate will have a trade school degree in CNC machining and two years experience or five years of experience in lieu of a degree. Experience running a Mori Seiki NL2000/SMC/500 with live tools and sub-spindle or a Mori Seiki NL1500 with live tools, sub-spindle and Y-axis is desirable. This person must be able to program using the controls on the machine and have a clear understanding of GD&T.
This person must be able to read blue prints, use general inspection equipment and be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Business Systems Analyst / Programmer
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Business Systems Analyst-Programmer to join our rapidly growing organization. This individual will conduct analyses and develop business tools to help the company identify and take action on improvement opportunities (i.e. become more efficient and effective). This position is responsible for determining business system requirements in consideration to company goals and objectives, defining corresponding functional specifications, and identifying and carrying out projects to meet systems requirements, improve processes and optimize productivity.
This person will promote the utilization of the company business/ERP system in the most effective manner, develop and improve business systems tools by modifying existing functionality and/or implementing new technology (software and/or hardware). This individual will automate the access and collection of data from various sources (company ERP system, Quality database, etc.) for the development/implementation of reports which support business decision making and performance measurement. This position will manage business system projects, including work with external suppliers/service providers where needed, to ensure timely completion within budget.
To apply, please go to http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH06/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CWCONTROLS&cws=3&rid=2228.